Members of the Union of Non-Tenured Faculty (UNTF) will meet Thursday, May 20 at 5:30 in Human Ecology Room 300 to vote on the proposed new four-year contract negotiated with Michigan State University. You can click here for the full proposal and here for the summary.
In an email announcement from UNTF Secretary L. Reulaine Stokes, the negotiators characterized the proposed agreement: “This contract does not include everything we dreamed of, but we believe that it is a solid and positive foundation that we can build on.”
Highlights from the email and the documents include:
- The proposed contract does not reduce any current rights, benefits, or conditions of employment, and all current appointments will be honored.
- Management can continue to offer more generous appointments than those outlined in the proposed contract.
- Anyone teaching ten semesters in six years (not counting summer terms) is eligible for a three-year appointment. If youâ€™ve taught Fall and Spring for the last two years, those four semesters count towards this total.
- Health and dental care plans and costs are the same as those for tenure-track faculty. we will also remain eligible for pre-tax deductions for health and dependent care accounts.
- Retirement program remains the same as for tenure-track faculty.
- UNTF members remain eligible for pre-tax deductions for health and dependent care accounts.
- Dues to the American Federation of Teachers will be set somewhere between 1.3% and 1.8%; the exact amount will be set at a general membership meeting to be held in the fall.
- In cases of non-reappointment, management must give one month’s notice prior to the expiration of oneâ€™s current appointment and provide a rationale for the non-reappointment. (All faculty have the right to the negotiated grievance process.)
The proposed contract also establishes a pool of funds for merit raises.
Those who are eligible to vote but who cannot attend are invited to use the proxy form provided as a courtesy here. If you are eligible to vote but are not yet a member, you can attend the Thursday, May 20 meeting and sign a membership card.
The summary notes:
A.The proposed contract establishes a merit pay pool for non-tenure tack faculty:
Year 1 â€“ 0%
Year 2 â€“ 1.5%
Year 3 â€“ 2%
Year 4 â€“ 2%
B. Faculty members with minimum salaries will get an increase of 10% the first year. For example: The current minimum for an instructor ($23,593 for the academic year) will be raised to $25,593. (See contract for new minimum salaries in Compensation Program)
Members with questions are urged to contact the UNTF at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 517-203-0880.