Bill Castanier has been an award-wining weekly newspaper editor, advertising and public relations executive in his 40 year career. In addition, he has been an executive with a newspaper trade association and founded Michigan’s first technology association, I-TE@M. He writes a weekly newspaper feature on Michigan authors and is on the Board of the Kerrytown BookFest and the Michigan Notable Book Awards. He has the only daily blog on Michigan literature (Mittenlit) and founded Spartanpodcast.com.

One response to “What would Jane say about the Lansing City Market?”

1. Gene Hashley

Jane would, indeed, be disappointed that there was not a better effort to upgrade the existing market building.
    I’ve not been inside of the new building so I can’t make a fair assessment. I know the old market has needed work for a long time. I remember going there with my grandmother back in the 1960’s and hearing the vendors complain about the inadequate heating in the winter. But, the old market is comprised of two well constructed, architecturally pleasing buildings and it’s a shame to see them disappear like many of Lansing landmarks have.
    I’ve seen pictures of the new building and it looks like an ugly pole barn. Lansing city officials seem to like pole barns, remember the original Lansing Center?
    I will reserve judgement until I actually see the new building. Hopefully, a new building will attract more vendors and feature more eating choices. Developing Riverfront Park was one of Lansing’s best moves and I hope the new market will add to it. .

Leave a Reply